Myla Holzman Kato, a native Californian, has spent most of her life within sight of the Pacific Ocean. She was born in Santa Monica in 1963 and became a full time artist by 1993.
Myla was a life drawing and painting student at the Brentwood Art Center from ages 13 to 17, and later went on to earn a degree in Graphic Design. She devotes herself to plein air painting and figure drawing, and gravitates towards creating work that’s loose and dynamic. Her paintings and drawings are known for their bold movement, color, and vivid texture.
Myla is a grateful board member and active participant of SCAPE (Southern California Artists Painting for the Environment), as well as being chosen to be part of MAST, Mesa Artists Studio Tour.
When she’s not, “hittin’ the road” with her paints, Myla spends ample time creating in her home studio…usually needing to straddle over a dog or 3 to get to her easel.
Current teachers: Edgar Payne, Maynard Dixon, Ray Strong, Manet, van Gogh, Cezanne, and living artists who channel their passion tangibly.
Myla and her husband, both avid surfers and nature lovers, live happily on Santa Barbara’s Mesa, with their dog children.
Myla’s newest work is listed on Facebook or by appointment at her home studio in Santa Barbara.
Southern California Artists Painting for the Environment (S.C.A.P.E.)
Mesa Artists Studio Tour (M.A.S.T.)
California Art Club: Associate Artist
Exhibitions, Juried Shows, Invitationals and Awards:
· Santa Barbara Maritime Museum, July 2019
· Visions of the Gaviota Coast, Bacara Resort and Spa, Santa Barbara, April 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014
· Gallery 113, MAST Group Show, April 2019
· Mesa Artists Studio Tour (MAST), March 2019, 2018, 2017
· Santa Barbara Botanic Gardens, September 2018
· Santa Barbara Maritime Museum, July 2018
· *Invited: Santa Barbara Winery, May 2018
· Distinctive Art Gallery, New Work & New Faces, May 2017
· *Invited: Deckers Corporation: Devereux’s Art and Soul, January 2017
· Solo Show: “From Plein Air to Studio Musings”, Chateau Belle, October 2016
· Faulkner Gallery, Surfrider Foundation - A Brush with the Waves: Awarded Honorable Mention for “Pit Crew View”, July 2016
· Montecito Country Club: Awarded People’s Choice Award for “Where The Lucky Mermaids Live”, October 2015
· Semana Nautica, Cabrillo Arts Pavillion, June 2015
· Art Along the Creek, May 2015, 2014
· *Invited: PARC Foundation: Magic on the Urban Wine Trail, April 2015
· Channing Peake Gallery, Near & Far: Plein Air in County Parks, February 2015
· Gallery 113, September 2014
· Carpinteria Plein Air Painters at Zookers, April 2014
· *Invited: International Women’s Festival, March 2014